DJI GO 4 crashing
1693 19 2017-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kevin36
lvl.2
Flight distance : 356476 ft
South Africa

I am going to start a new thread as there has been no solution from DJI to the many other threads on this same issue. I will reference some of the other threads below on this issue for the record.

Yesterday (17 Dec) my DJI GO 4 app came up with a message about signal lost to my MP and I could do nothing in the app, it was frozen, it was a very nervous situation. I pressed RTH on the RC and my Mavic did return safely but the app was still frozen, I suspect it automatically did a RTH due to signal lost. I restarted the app but it would still not connect to my MP despite that it was now visible above me and on the way down. It landed fine. I had to reboot my phone and DJI GO 4 then connected. This was the first time this has happened. Usually the app just crashes and when I look down on my phone it is blank. I have to then restart the app and it reconnects fine. This happens at least once every flight. How do I prevent DJI GO 4 from crashing? (and please no suggestions to switch to an IOS phone)

I have checked and all firmware is on latest.

I have tried the following suggestions without success;

·         Re-installed

·         Reboot phone before flight

·         Enable flight mode

·         Cleared cache

·         Disable cacheing

I have also submitted a report to DJI Support via DJI GO 4 and wait their response as well.

App                                             4.1.18

Aircraft                                        01.04.0100

Remote Controller                         01.04.0100

Aircraft Database                          01.00.01.07

App Database                               01.00.01.07

Basic Fly Safe Database                 01.00.01.05

Samsung Galaxy S6

Android                            7.0

Kernel version                   3.10.61-10940776

Build number                    NRD90M.G920FXXU5EQJ1

I have also emailed djicare@dji.com and wait their response.

Other posts on this same issue.

Thank you

Kevin
2017-12-18
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

As long as RC is connected to MP, RTH will not kick in untill you press the RTH-button. Makes sense because you are still in full control with the RC over the MP.

If you are using DJI cable connected to the side-port of the RC is suggest you use your loading/data cable of your phone and connect it to the bottom USB-port of the RC (remove the cable from the side-port). Many complain about the DJI cables.

I believe that since version 4.1.0 of the app there are problems with crashing of the app. You can read several topics about this problem with numerous suggestions how to fix it. In the beginning I tried all of them, nothing seemed to fix it. I switched over to iOS because I wanted to fly my MP without any distractions or crashing of the app. Tried later versions of the app, the seem a little better... will give 4.1.18 a try next time...
2017-12-18
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

Mari Posted at 2017-12-18 00:47
As long as RC is connected to MP, RTH will not kick in untill you press the RTH-button. Makes sense because you are still in full control with the RC over the MP.

If you are using DJI cable connected to the side-port of the RC is suggest you use your loading/data cable of your phone and connect it to the bottom USB-port of the RC (remove the cable from the side-port). Many complain about the DJI cables.

I will give this a test and provide feedback.
2017-12-18
Use props
MsRange30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

Thank you for sharing Kevin!
2017-12-18
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

I would also  first suspect your USB cord, especially if you use the one that is going through the controller's handle. That way is something the hell has created in anger. Use a longer cord in the bottom plug.

That your APP crash does not make that your drone is lose connection to the controller. Would recommend you practice flying without your phone / tablet being turned on.

Regards Leif.
2017-12-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hello Kevin, thank you for bringing us the attention. I would like to have some suggestions for you to try. First, please try to remove your app, download the app again by scanning the QR code on the official website. Please note to do a backup like syncing the flight record and saving the pics and videos before your reinstallation.
Second, since you had tried some troubleshoots, if the app still keeps crashing, we would like to have your crash log to locate the issue. So could you please provide me with the info below:
1. Operations before and when the Android device crashes
2. Aircraft model
3. Crash log, (connect the device to the computer to export it: /sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4 /LOG/CRASH)
4. Your DJI account
Thank you for your help. BTW, the threads you listed above are a bit long time ago, the crash issue might be resolved for some devices after the app's update. Appreciate your understanding.
2017-12-18
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-18 19:17
Hello Kevin, thank you for bringing us the attention. I would like to have some suggestions for you to try. First, please try to remove your app, download the app again by scanning the QR code on the official website. Please note to do a backup like syncing the flight record and saving the pics and videos before your reinstallation.
Second, since you had tried some troubleshoots, if the app still keeps crashing, we would like to have your crash log to locate the issue. So could you please provide me with the info below:
1. Operations before and when the Android device crashes

Hi DJI Thor

Thank you for your quick response. Note that there are two issues I referred to in my post. I will separate them below as they are quite likely not related.

Connection Lost as experienced on 17 December 2017
My son was flying my MP while I was flying his P3S. He wanted to go check out his mates house. I explained to him what the gimbal and camera settings dials do. He used the gimbal dial earlier and it operated correctly. I explained what the camera settings dial does (Exposure). I dialed the gimbal and the video immediately froze. Then signal was lost. I assume at this point my MP was hovering and preparing for a RTH. I had no feedback on the RC, it displayed in red in the status no connection. I pressed RTH and it started beeping but I assume it was already in RTH. It landed fine. At this point the DJI GO 4 app had locked up. Even when restarting the app it would not proceed past  the load screen. I had to reboot my phone and thereafter it connected fine. This was the first time I had experienced this. I have uploaded the cached video (with audio) to YouTube. I will upload the crash log when I get home this evening (or tomorrow). I can add the the flight record was also not recorded in DJI GO 4.

DJI GO4 crashing
The app crashes about once or twice per battery. It may be related to pressing a button on the RC (gimbal, exposure, video or photo) I haven't determined if there is a pattern yet but will do some flying as soon as the South Easter in Cape Town has calmed down and provide further feedback. When I restart the app it reconnects fine every time.
I tried downgrading my phone from Nougat to Marshmallow but  the Secure Bootloader no longer allows a downgrade so I am stuck with Nougat.

Mavic Pro
My DJI account is kevin.vanblerk@gmail.com

Thank you
Kevin
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
2017-12-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Kevin36 Posted at 2017-12-19 00:01
Hi DJI Thor

Thank you for your quick response. Note that there are two issues I referred to in my post. I will separate them below as they are quite likely not related.

Hi Kevin, sorry it is my fault for not covering it. For the connecting issue, please check what the app says. If the app said the aircraft disconnected, then it was the drone disconnected the RC at that time, but according to your description, you can still press the RTH button on the RC, then it might not be the drone disconnected. So if the app showed disconnected, that meant the app hadn't connected to the RC, try to reconnect by rebooting the app or plugging the cable again. And according to the video that you posted, there are many residential buildings around. Could you please try another wide broad place to ensure the less interference? At the same time, when I get your crash log, I will also forward your situation to our engineers. Thank you.
And for the app crash, please help to provide us with the crash log for a better confirm. Thank you so much for the details.
2017-12-19
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-19 01:20
Hi Kevin, sorry it is my fault for not covering it. For the connecting issue, please check what the app says. If the app said the aircraft disconnected, then it was the drone disconnected the RC at that time, but according to your description, you can still press the RTH button on the RC, then it might not be the drone disconnected. So if the app showed disconnected, that meant the app hadn't connected to the RC, try to reconnect by rebooting the app or plugging the cable again. And according to the video that you posted, there are many residential buildings around. Could you please try another wide broad place to ensure the less interference? At the same time, when I get your crash log, I will also forward your situation to our engineers. Thank you.
And for the app crash, please help to provide us with the crash log for a better confirm. Thank you so much for the details.

I could do nothing on app, it was completely frozen, I eventually pressed RTH on the RC but I assume my MP was already on it's way home. Even when exiting it and re-opening the app it would just hang on the load screen. After my MP did the RTH and landed I had to reboot my phone. The app displayed "Signal Loss" and shortly after can be heard saying "Signal Loss" as well. This was the first time this has happened and also the first time I have flown in this area. Also the first time I have flown with another drone (DJI P3S) nearby. I will send those logs to you asap. Thank you again.
2017-12-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Kevin36 Posted at 2017-12-19 02:02
I could do nothing on app, it was completely frozen, I eventually pressed RTH on the RC but I assume my MP was already on it's way home. Even when exiting it and re-opening the app it would just hang on the load screen. After my MP did the RTH and landed I had to reboot my phone. The app displayed "Signal Loss" and shortly after can be heard saying "Signal Loss" as well. This was the first time this has happened and also the first time I have flown in this area. Also the first time I have flown with another drone (DJI P3S) nearby. I will send those logs to you asap. Thank you again.

Thanks for the update. The signal loss might indicate the transmission signal is lost at that time, then, in this case, the drone and app are connected, but the transmission cannot be received. It relates to the flight environment, the position of the antennas, sometimes the drone and RC firmware also matter.
And you had also mentioned there is another Phantom 3 Standard nearby, it might also be the reason. So you might need to take care of the environment around, and like I said, test in an environment with less interference.
2017-12-19
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

Kevin36 Posted at 2017-12-19 02:02
I could do nothing on app, it was completely frozen, I eventually pressed RTH on the RC but I assume my MP was already on it's way home. Even when exiting it and re-opening the app it would just hang on the load screen. After my MP did the RTH and landed I had to reboot my phone. The app displayed "Signal Loss" and shortly after can be heard saying "Signal Loss" as well. This was the first time this has happened and also the first time I have flown in this area. Also the first time I have flown with another drone (DJI P3S) nearby. I will send those logs to you asap. Thank you again.

Hi DJI Thor

Please find my MP aircraft flight logs at the Dropbox link below. When connecting the RC via USB to DJI Assistant 2 v1.1.6 there is nothing displayed under Black Box? When connecting my MP via USB to DJI Asstant 2 v1.1.6 I see 11 files under Data Upload and also nothing under Black Box. I selected all of these 11 files and Save to Local. This was compressed and this is the file uploaded to Dropbox.
The incident described above where there was "No Signal" experienced was on 17 Dec 2017 01:32PM SAST (timestamp on the cached video in DJI GO 4). I unfortunately don't have the exact times when the DJI GO 4 app has repeatedly crashed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/28e904 ... 0_11-21-14.DAT?dl=0

Thank you
Kevin
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2srmgovjjhajfi/20171220_095404_001.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/usshx6 ... 220_111101.jpg?dl=0

20171220_095404_001.jpg
20171220_111101.jpg
2017-12-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Kevin36 Posted at 2017-12-20 02:48
Hi DJI Thor

Please find my MP aircraft flight logs at the Dropbox link below. When connecting the RC via USB to DJI Assistant 2 v1.1.6 there is nothing displayed under Black Box? When connecting my MP via USB to DJI Asstant 2 v1.1.6 I see 11 files under Data Upload and also nothing under Black Box. I selected all of these 11 files and Save to Local. This was compressed and this is the file uploaded to Dropbox.

Hi Kevin, it is my fault, I should've stated it clearly, the app crash logs are stored on your mobile device, it is not the one on the drone.
Please kindly connect your phone, Samsung S6 to the computer and follow the route on the 3rd point 6#.
Thank you so much.
2017-12-20
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-20 03:57
Hi Kevin, it is my fault, I should've stated it clearly, the app crash logs are stored on your mobile device, it is not the one on the drone.
Please kindly connect your phone, Samsung S6 to the computer and follow the route on the 3rd point 6#.
Thank you so much.

Hi DJI Thor, no problem, can you confirm this location "/sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4 /LOG/CRASH"? I am looking at it now and the only folders under LOG/ are CACHE, EDIT, ERROR_POP_LOG, MAP and UNITY?
S6_DJI_folders.jpg
2017-12-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Kevin36 Posted at 2017-12-20 04:58
Hi DJI Thor, no problem, can you confirm this location "/sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4 /LOG/CRASH"? I am looking at it now and the only folders under LOG/ are CACHE, EDIT, ERROR_POP_LOG, MAP and UNITY?

In this case, I will forward your DJI account to our engineers to confirm first. Will get back to you once I get news from them. Thank you.
2017-12-22
Use props
smeier_ch
lvl.2
Switzerland

2017-12-22
Use props
adfp_88
lvl.1

Hong Kong

hi guys,thanks for your feedback.We will fix this problem in the next version of app.
2018-1-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting vid from Tom - he must be gutted! I too have never crashed a DJI drone - scary thought but as most say it’s not if but when it will happen!
2018-1-18
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hi kevin - android user here - i had app disconnect issue with the last app but with the latest app my app connection is stable again - i tried all those things you listed but continued to get app failure. The last thing i tried (all device settings): turn on airplane mode  - turn on do not disturb - turn of wifi and turn off mobile data. My best guess is that the wifi searching could be causing interferance and this conflict may be causing the disconnect. Another point to mention is that sometimes when i am directly above my head then i will experiance a disconnect which could be because the drone is now in a position above the tips of the rc antennae which could be the cause of that disconnect problem. do let me know if turning off wifi ect helps.
2018-1-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Update: Kevin, just a reminder, 16# is the reply from our engineers. We'll fix it in the next version. Thanks so much for your feedback.
2018-1-21
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

I had the same issue with the go app crashing on my S6 and S7. I believe the response was it was Samsung's fault -- wait until they fix it. I asked Samsung and they were baffled by my question and claimed it wasn't them. I just ended up buying an iPad and haven't had more than a handful of crashes since.
2018-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules